Almost every home can do without more storage space, and shelves are great for storing or displaying items without taking up valuable floor space. This makes it ideal for smaller modern homes.
DIY ready made shelves Inexpensive and easy to install at home. They’re available in a wide range of styles and finishes to suit every decor – or make your own from recycled materials. For example, thick shelves made of solid wood support beams add a rustic touch and galvanized pipes and fittings give an industrial feel.
Shelves are ideal if you want to add color and character to your home.
- A narrow shelf mounted above your countertops will help tie your kitchen design together and provide an opportunity to display your best crockery and possibly an eye-catching plant.
- Transform standard bookcases into a charming indoor garden with houseplants – hanging ferns are a good choice – among your books and decorations.
- In a room that overlooks the neighbors, an open shelving unit with semi-transparent elements is an attractive way to create privacy in place of expensive window treatments.
- An open shelving unit can create a subtle gap between zones in an open plan space without restricting light or flow. Decorate with houseplants, books, or trinkets that complement the décor.
- Rack-mounted shelves can be as attractive as floating shelves if you’re shopping for unusual racks or ones that complement your existing decor.
Start by selecting a color scheme to tie the look together for each room.
- Sticking to one color palette will make the screen come together more smoothly. Use a neutral base, then combine different materials and accessories in different sizes.
- Warm shades like yellow and orange add depth and character to a light-colored living room or dining area.
- Add a touch of sophistication to bedrooms painted in muted greens and grays with wall shelves in deeper matching colors.
- The mantelpiece will look the same color as the rest of the wall built in, with darker accents and natural textures for depth.
- The presence of shelves in the same tone as the walls emphasizes the contents of the shelves.
- Don’t feel obligated to keep the shelf mounts hidden – spray on some color and make it a feature.
Wire shelves are great for garages, workshops, and casual spaces.
- Metal shelving units are inexpensive, and you can see at a glance where everything is.
- It also works well inside wardrobes for extra storage space.
- For a casual look, prop a wire shelving unit to the wall, and add random pattern.
Fairy lights will draw attention to your mantel design and turn it into a feature.
- Highlighting a prominent ornament or artwork can create a focal point for the rest of the display.
- Corner shelves can be dark, so add some overhead lighting.
Before starting your DIY shelf project, make sure you have all of your materials and equipment on hand.
- Search websites for shelving ideas and tutorials on how to install different types of shelves.
- Make a list of the materials and equipment you need to purchase.
- Take proper measurements before purchasing any item.
As with any DIY project, you have to be really patient to achieve the perfect result. Take your time – do not rush.
clerk : Sarah Jane Mayer
#DIY #shelves #add #personality #interior #spaces